So SMS Texting is often spoken on in the marketing space. But how do you make it work for you, or can it work for you might be a better question. I always love when someone tells me “It doesn’t work!” when they are speaking of marketing technology. It is my contention that more times than not, it is not the technology that fails a campaign, it is the poor implementation, or lack on understanding that is the root cause low Response.
Here are 5 simple questions to keep in mind to make it successful.
- Is it right for me? — Does my business have foot traffic? it is important to be sure your customers have a need to get information about specials, sales, opportunities… does it make sense to communicate with them via texts?
- How do I collect them? – Put a program in place like a Keyword in your establishment with some offer to opt-in. Maybe a coupon or special. The goal is to increase the membership to build loyalty for your brand.
- How often should I Push a message? – it’s easy to get excited about a new technology, but keep in mind that you will turn them off quickly if you hit them daily with messages. a couple times a month should be the max. It will mean more if you communicate less this way…
- DIY or DIWSE – This is a tough one… For any campaign to be successful, you have to be consistent, so you must decide, do you “Do It Yourself? or ?Do It With Someone Else?” There are companies like DataMart Direct that have program that allow both.
- What do I Offer? – Since our targeted is mobile, we want to not only give them a relative offer, but done with a tight expiration date. Maybe, “Special today” or “valid for the next 2 hours”
There are many opportunities available to you, the challenge is starting off with a good foundation and solid plan.